Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day


This is my first Veterans Day out of the classroom and it feels weird. Weird because every year I did something to honor our veterans. I would send home a questionnaire with my students who were to interview a veteran - an optional activity because not all of my students had a veteran in their life. I sent this survey home in advance of this special day of recognition because I felt it was an important day. Hearing about the experiences of veterans, in their own words, had a huge impact on my students. Those who participated read the responses of the veteran they interviewed. The kids always listened intently to these interviews and it gave new meaning to why we celebrate our vets. None of us would have the freedom we have as Americans if it weren't for the sacrifice of so many. Not all of the veterans whose words were read aloud served in battle or even left the States for that matter. It wasn't important that they have been in battle. What was important was to hear of their love for our country, their personal sacrifices in the name of freedom. That was what counted. As a teacher you can hang posters, read about wars, talk about current events, etc...but hearing the words of someone who, by choice, has participated in the defense of our nation, is priceless. It afforded me many "teachable moments" and a chance to bring American pride to light for these young people, some of whom might one day make the sacrifice as well. For me personally, Veterans Day is a chance to reflect on people I know who served our country - family and friends. My grandfather served in the Italian army, battling the Facists. He was gassed and bore the scars of pigmentation loss for the rest of his life. My uncle got malaria during his time of service. My father served in the military too, but by the grace of God he was injured in maneuvers shortly before his battalion was shipped overseas, where only a few returned alive. Sacrifice. My brother was born while my dad was away, as so many war babies were. I know how hard it was for my mom to be without him during such a special time in her life. Sacrifice. Today we have so many sacrificing for our freedom - in Iraq, Afghanistan, and all over the world. I wake up every day wondering how I will spend my day. They wake up every day thankful for the day. Sacrifice. Thank you, veterans. There are no words that can express how thankful I am for what you have sacrificed.

No comments:

Post a Comment