Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sick of Lovable Losers Status



The Yankees won the World Series last night and since I am one of those long-suffering Cubs fans, I really didn't care...until I started thinking (and that can be dangerous when you are a Chicago sports fan). While the Yankees returned to being World Series winners after a ten-year wait, I couldn't help but think that we Cubs fans have waited ten times as long + one more year! Just this past weekend my family engaged in a discussion about why Chicago can't seem to have a repeat winning team in any sport since the Bulls team that won 6 NBA titles, albeit not consecutively. What IS the deal with our sports teams? My son in law makes fun of me because I am still talking about the '85 Super Bowl winning Bears team and players. He thinks I should move on. What? Why? It's the last time I felt so great about wearing blue and orange. Sure there was the team that got stomped on by Peyton Manning and his Colts, but for some reason that Bears team didn't ignite my blue and orange blood. Oh, and then there are the Cubs. Enough said about that. Sox? Can't say I care one bit about them and their more recent World Series win. I was born into a Cubs family and still have that ill-placed loyalty to them. Bulls? I haven't cared since MJ left. As far as I am concerned the NBA represents a collection of overpaid street thugs with horribly pompous attitudes. Blackhawks? Exciting for the first time in MANY years and the best thing is that they have a very young team. Might be exciting for a few years unless the owners deal them away because they are cheap...another common denominator in Chicago sports. Cheapness!

On another note, my sister in law and I enjoyed a day out together today, lunching and shopping. While out and about we passed one of the Halloween stores that blow in and out for Halloween, make enough money to send their owners to Bali for three months and then disappear. We talked about that and then the conversation led to discussing our various aches and pains. Then it came to me that when you get older you don't get invited to cool parties any more. We laughed about how neither of us got invitations to a Halloween party for the last couple of years, and couldn't remember the last time we were invited to a New Years Eve bash or had any desire to usher in the New Year at some overpriced venue. My sister in law decided it's because none of our peers (and us) can stay up past 9:00 any more! So true...

No comments:

Post a Comment