Monday, November 9, 2009

The Joys and Anguish of "Jeopardy"


"And the question is..." Who is...? What is..? Where is...?" "Potent Potables for $200, Alex". I have loved the game show "Jeopardy" for a long time - a life time. I remember the Art Fleming and Don Pardo era, when they began this amazing show back in the 60s. I have watched its set morph from being very low tech to being very high tech. I've watched Alex Trebek's hair color change too. They can change the sets all they want but it will always be the best game show on television. I have enjoyed my opponents over the years. I remember playing against my father first, then my college roommates, then Artie, and then my son - who shares that same Guagenti competitiveness as his ancestors. Dan is my favorite opponent because we both get so into it and cheat and argue about who gave the answer first - such a Guagenti thing! When I play against Artie he always gives the question in his answer - I just blurt out the answer - and then have to listen to him complain that it doesn't "count" because I didn't do it correctly. WHATEVER! The joy of Jeopardy is getting the answers correct, which I must confess has always been difficult. Just how do those contestants KNOW all that stuff? How did that one guy play for a zillion weeks? Who has time to learn all that information? The anguish, conversely, is NOT knowing the answers. I personally gloat when I get an some obscure question correct...and I am embarrassed when I get them (many) wrong. In my retirement I make a point of watching the show if I am home - you know, to keep my brain fresh. I love the categories like Ancient Egyptian History or Artists because these are categories I can sometimes mop my opponents up on. Not so much with Books of the Bible (I'm a Catholic, sort of), The Old Testament (see previous parentheses), and anything to do with science. More joyful moments are when it's "Teen Week" and I can answer my fair share of questions, but there are more anguish-filled moments when the teens clean my clock, answering those Bible and science questions with ease. Even more frustrating is when those it's "Kid Week" (or whatever they call it) and some snot-nosed, pimple face, braces-wearing brat beats me to the buzzer. Talk about anguish!

Speaking of Alex Trebek, does anyone else marvel at the way foreign words and names roll so eloquently from his lips? He is a master of linguistics. He is also one of the most pompous hosts I've seen. Sometimes he can be so condescending to players, so sarcastic. And sometimes he seems to take pleasure in their errors. I am reminded of that rotten game show host in the movie "Slumdog Millionaire". OK, so maybe I am embellishing a bit.

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of ancient Egypt, we are doing the original full-fledged version of the "Egyptian Wax Museum" this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Whose idea? It will be fun for the kids. It always is. Great. Now the Nerge parents will be convinced it was ME that was the holdout...or maybe they will place the blame on Maureen. Truth be told, better you than me doing it. I am so done with that stuff.

    By the way, thanks for being my only commenter. I know people read this blog, but barely anyone makes comments. I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved getting comments on my blog. After going through all of the work of preparing a recipe, taking endless photos of it, and then writing a meaningful post, I looked forward to what other people thought. Lots of comments made me feel as if I was connecting with other people. Silence made me feel as if I was talking to myself.

    A way to build your readership is to start posting comments on other bloggers' sites. You should leave some comments on Proud Italian Cook's website if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete