Tuesday, November 3, 2009

"Chilling" Memories and Yogurt


This morning's chill in the air gave me pause to reflect on the upcoming days of cccccoold weather. I stifled a sinister laugh as I realized I will NEVER have to do outside bus duty again...well, I guess I should never say never. I recall vividly one particularly bitter cold and blustery winter day that I had the dreaded job of bus duty. It was one of those days with a minus sign in front of the temperature reading with windchills that were dreadful. I anticipated how cold it would be and prepared for it in advance, breaking out my real fur coat (shameless, not PC, etc.), a HAT (those who know me know I rarely don any headgear because I get horrible hat hair and am just vain enough to admit it), gloves, boots, and warm socks. I realized once I got outside that the fur of ten Wooly Mammoths couldn't have been enough to keep me warm! I have never in my life been so cold. I actually CRIED out there! Since I wear my own extra layers of insulation (OK, fat) I am usually sporting my own personal summer on most days. That was another reason I was so shocked by how cold I was on that January day. I thought about some of my skinny friends and colleagues and how they would have fared out there...not so well. If I was crying they would have been wailing! So glad that is now a part of my history.

Now to the subject of yogurt. One of nature's finest foods...or so they say. I know how good yogurt is for women - the health benefits are innumerable. I have TRIED for years to like it, spending countless dollars on Whips, Cremes, and more recently Pumpkin Pie, Sugar Cookie, and Eggnog flavors. I have watched countless friends and colleagues gobble down this wonder food with the same look dogs have when you give them a treat - the ummm ummm good face - and I envy them. So, in my eternal quest to try to like yogurt, I was so excited about finding these new flavors while grocery shopping last week. Yesterday I tried, with the highest degree of anticipation, the pumpkin pie flavor. It was a bit more palatable than most yogurts I've tried to choke down, but in the end, it is still yogurt! Sour, gloppy, coats-your-throat-as-it-goes-down yogurt. Well, there is always the Sugar Cookie and Eggnog cartons waiting for me. I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Only 209 more days until I can avoid extremely cold mornings, barreling buses, and parents with road rage at 8:20 a.m.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And less than 209 days until you join us for our many fun events that do not involve buses of any kind, parents with road rage, and standing outside freezing, baking, or getting soaked! Whoohooo! C'mon June!

    ReplyDelete