Saturday, November 7, 2009

Beauty in Two Forms Today


This was one of the most amazing November days I can ever recall. Seventy-five degrees at one point today. Sunshine made everyone have a spring to their step and a smile on their face. I started the day at the hair salon I've been going to for some 20+ years. My hairdresser, Coleen, is incredible. I am so lucky that my friend Kathy found her so many years ago and turned me on to her. Everyone knows how important a good hairdresser is. Let's face it, you entrust your vanity and pride to them. A bad "do" is one devastating experience. Coleen has NEVER let me down. She knows me and my hair so well. I don't even have to tell her what I want done. She is just intuitive enough to know what I want and need. I look forward to my monthly visits to Perfect Impressions for many reasons. Of course getting rid of my grey hair and unwanted "Frito Bandito" upper lip and eyebrow hair is a given (damned Italian fur). Coleen is the owner of the shop and has been since she was in her 20s. Quite an accomplishment for someone that young to have the chutzpa to own a business. Dawn is the nail tech in the shop and is a hoot and a half. Coleen and Dawn have worked together for years and have what I would call a love/hate relationship. Don't get me wrong - they are truly friends, but the banter that flies between them sometimes is just hysterical. Some of the conversations that come up in the shop are downright X-rated. Sometimes I wonder how the quiet and unassuming clients deal with it. I guess if they didn't like it they wouldn't come back. Discussions can get heated too. Through the years Coleen and her clients have shared stories of much joy as well as much sadness. A hair salon is one place, for me at least, that I sort of feel like Norm when he would walk into "Cheers". Everyone knows my name, but I am better known as "Shanaynay" by the staff - a nickname Coleen gave me years ago that has stuck. I dread the day Coleen closes up shop because I will feel lost. It will be the same feeling that I felt when we moved to Janesville...and I don't want that to happen for a llloooonnnnnggggg time.

2 comments:

  1. Coleen's great :-)! I guess some things never change! I finally found a good hairdresser when we moved to Flagstaff. I couldn't find anyone when we were in Phoenix - very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I have the kind of hair that really requires someone who knows how to deal with it. Thick, curly/wavey, mind of its own...glad you found someone.

    ReplyDelete