Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Time For Soup


This morning it is just chilly chilly! Makes me think about comfort foods to warm up the body, mind, and soul. My favorite blogger, PROUD ITALIAN COOK, sent this amazing recipe just in time. I have always loved escarole in any way, shape, or form. This soup just warms the coggles of my soul. Can't wait to make it. Thought I'd share it with you...

Beans, Greens, and Broken Spaghetti Soup
2 cans of rinsed and drained cannellini beans or you could use dried.
2 onions chopped
2 carrots diced
1 large bunch of swiss chard, stems removed and leaves chopped.
6-8 cups of homemade stock or a good store bought brand.
Precooked broken spaghetti
Olive oil, fresh finely minced basil, 1-2 crushed garlic cloves, grated parmesan, salt and pepper.

In a heavy soup pot, saute onion, carrot, garlic and chard, then add everything else and simmer for about an hour. If your like me and you save your cheese rinds in the freezer, please add one to your soup, it makes a world of difference to the flavor of your broth, otherwise just add your grated parmesan to your individual bowls.
In a bowl add the cooked spaghetti, and then ladle your soup over the top along with plenty of grated cheese, and if you want, a tiny drizzle of olive oil. Grab a spoon and go curl up on a couch with a good book, or in my case any foodie magazine will do. Enjoy!!
Buon Appetito!

2 comments:

  1. This looks good. I'm making a pot of vegetable stock this weekend. Maybe I'll try this. Good soup recipes are one of winter's saving graces...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Soup is like medicine for the soul, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete