Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Recipe Time - Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells with Lemon Sage Brown Butter Sauce


I subscribe to a great email blog called "Proud Italian Cook". This woman is amazing! I literally have been interested in every recipe she posts. I decided to include one for my blog tonight. If any of you make it, let me know how it turns out.

Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells with a Lemon Sage Brown Butter Sauce
Posted: 27 Oct 2009 02:38 PM PDT
I'm sorry, but I just can't get enough of butternut squash this season! I know I just previously posted a lasagna using it, but recently after flipping through a beautiful Donna Hay magazine I also got inspired to stuff it into shells. Donna used sweet potatoes in her recipe, which would be good as well, but I knew immediately I'd be using butternut squash. I also added spinach to mine and an egg for binding. This dish is great as a main course, or on a buffet, or even a side dish to your holiday meal.


Stuffed shells are a great addition to a dinner party, they're individual, easy to serve, and easy to eat.

***Peel, chop and toss in olive oil your butternut squash, then in a hot oven roast at 425F for 15-20 minutes.

***Cook your jumbo pasta shells according to directions.

***In a bowl add ricotta, parmesan cheese, fresh smashed garlic, frozen chopped spinach ( squeezed and drained) 1 egg, salt, pepper and grated lemon peel. The lemon peel was key to this dish and added a nice bright flavor.

***Stuff the shells with the mixture and place in a buttered baking dish.

Make a sage brown butter sauce by melting butter in a saute pan until golden brown and bubbly.
Add at least 10 sage leaves until slightly crisp. Turn off heat and squeeze in fresh lemon juice.

Place your shells in a 400F oven until heated through around 20-25 minutes. When finished spoon your warm sage sauce all over and sprinkle with grated parmesan.
Inspired by Donna Hay

Depending on how much you make and how much filling you use for each shell this will determine your ricotta amount. Start with 1 1/2 lbs, along with your squash and spinach that should be enough for 1 box of jumbo shells

2 comments:

  1. I could easily 'veganize" this. I tested a recipe that involved tofu-basil "ricotta" and thought for sure that it would no way be like the real thing. It was amazing and is now my favorite basic stuffed shell recipe.

    Renee P. just sent my her recipe for a stuffed dessert pumpkin. I'm making it this weekend. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks delicious. I will test it out in the near future.

    ReplyDelete