Thursday, March 4, 2010

Precarious Life


I have been in a bit of a funk lately. Four recent events have sent my mind (and heart) into this mindset. First, the death of a dear friend's husband after a long battle with cancer. Second, the loss of another dear friend's husband after several setbacks following heart surgery. Finally, the horrific car accident that has another friend fighting for her life. We all know how life can turn on a dime leaving us breathless at times. The events of the last few weeks have truly taken my breath from me. I have spent so much time worrying for, and feeling sad for these wonderful people who have been dealt so much sorrow and pain.

In the last week I have also learned about another friend's father's struggle with multiple myeloma, cancer of the blood. My friend's brother has taken to writing his thoughts and feelings on a blog. His writing is so powerful and insightful. I know how much writing helps me organize and express my thoughts, but reading this blog literally has me pausing to breathe. It has brought back so many memories of my own father's valiant struggle with cancer, and how helpless my family and I were as he battled to no avail. Mike has put into words everything that cancer is - evil, non-discriminatory, debilitating to all involved (the patient and his/her loved ones), and how the very word "cancer" is the most dreaded word in our language. His writing is his coping mechanism, but it can be everyone's who reads it as well. There is probably not one person alive who has not had to suffer along with someone, or know someone whose life has been touched by this awful disease. Cancer brings out so much anger in me and I wish I could funnel that anger magically into a cure. I wish the world's scientists and doctors would get real angry real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment