Thursday, January 14, 2010

Catholics Come Home?



This may insult some of you who are reading this, so accept my apology right off the bat. Is anyone else bothered by the new "Catholics Come Home" commercials? I certainly am. As a fallen Catholic myself I find nothing in those ads that makes me want to "come home". In fact it is the subliminal and typical Catholic guilt that surfaces for me when I watch them - one of the many reasons I have become a stray. The reason many people have left the church, as I see it, is it has repeatedly failed to move forward with the times. The church has seen many scandals involving priests which has added to the exodus. Are these sappy commercials supposed to put a bandaid over the many shortcomings of the Catholic church? Is seeing a girl shooting up and then having an epiphany supposed to make me want to race into my local church and beg to be let in? Is seeing a domestic abuser watching his past unfold before him, as tears drip from his eyes, make me want to be forgiven for all my (and his) sins? I don't think so. I think it's pitiful and even a little shameful that the Catholic church feels the need to advertise faith. Isn't that a bit sinful?

No comments:

Post a Comment