Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Reality Shows



"So You Think You Can Dance"? "American Idol"? You betcha! I am not a reality TV junkie, per se, but I do admit to rearranging my schedule for American Idol - much to my husband's chagrin. Where else can you sit in the comfort of your home, in your favorite easy chair, bundled under your favorite Chicago Bears fleece throw and CRITIQUE the talents (or lack thereof) of others? Last night, while Artie attended a business dinner, I indulged myself and watched "So You Think You Can Dance". It just occurred to me this morning just how amusing that is. Here I am sitting in judgment of young, buff, talented dancers. I heard myself say, "He's too stiff!", or "She missed a move!". Me, who some days cannot even WALK without thinking about each step, let alone leap into the air, move my feet so fast that you can't even see them. I even had the audacity to be a bit disgusted with their sweat. What? If I were to try any of those moves, not only would I sweat, but I would require an oxygen mask and a ride in an ambulance. Who am I kidding?

I have always loved to sing. I think I have a great voice, but apparently my kids don't agree because any time I sing aloud around either of them I am told to stop. Artie, bless his soul, indulges me my passion to sing in the car without complaining. My mom always told me that I had a great singing voice. My Uncle Guido, a professional oboe player in his day, told my parents I should have voice training. In my Italian home opera music was played frequently and I would always sing along in what I thought was my finest operatic voice - making up the words, of course, because I had NO clue what the words were. My grandparents got the biggest kick out of me. So, of course I think I have a great voice! I love the days when I am "in good voice" and can reach the high notes of Mariah Carey (sort of), the breathiness of Taylor Swift (sort of), and the sweetness of Colbie Callait (yeah, right). So, of course this qualifies me to sit in judgment of the singers on American Idol! Oh, I have plenty to say to them alright. I am addicted to this show. I love the banter between the judges. I love to see people make fools of themselves, and I love to hate some contestants. I have a love/hate affair with Simon. His comments are so brutal sometimes - but I LOVE it!

Reality TV - a lesson in vicarious living indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment