Friday, May 21, 2010

It's Official! I am a GROWNUP now!



I just returned from spending 5 days in Las Vegas with Artie, who was out there for his company's annual conference. How did this trip make me proclaim my status as a grownup? Well, because I did many things that now have catapulted me to that point.

I must backtrack a bit to share with you that I was a VERY sheltered child. Born eight years after my sister, and ten years after my brother, I was the true "baby" of the family. My parents and grandparents spoiled me and kept me in my own little princess castle existence. Because my grandparents lived with us, I never spent a moment with a babysitter. And, ready for this, NEVER spent even an hour alone until I was a freshman in college. Needless to say some of those "firsts" were very intimidating to me.

Fast forward to my marriage to Artie. He has continued the spoiling and sheltering, which I welcomed since I was used to it. Some of the "firsts" in our married life were frightening for me. I remember being terrified to be alone when he worked late or had to go out of town. Since I am pretty much a crybaby you can imagine how many tears were shed as I knocked back some of the experiences that shape us as adults. I became an official adult when I began my teaching career. Having to step into the role of educator and working with parents makes you do that pretty quickly. I handled that fairly well, if I don't say so myself. Was I a grownup yet? NOPE!

OK, so I've set the stage for you to understand why I have officially become a grownup. Are you ready? OK, here is why I became a GROWNUP this past week:

1. I flew alone for the first time ever - Artie was on another flight
2. I found and retrieved my own luggage for the first time
3. I took a tour to see the Grand Canyon all by myself since Artie was tied up in meetings.
4. I did the Skywalk at the West Rim of the Grand Canyon - 4,000 feet above the floor of the canyon
5. I ate alone in restaurants and didn't feel creepy.
6. I walked the streets of Las Vegas alone
7. I rode one of Vegas' monorails alone
8. I gambled alone (no, didn't win a thing)

Add to that I've begun putting my own gas in my car (see, I told you Artie was helping to keep my sheltered)!

So, it's official. I have now conquered some of my "fears" at age 56. I even did one of the things on my Bucket List! I love being in my 50s.

No comments:

Post a Comment